Sunday, February 2, 2014

SJBC Winter Series ITT

SJBC Winter Series ITT
Distance: 15.40 mi
Time: 00:42:50
Avg Speed: 21.5 mph
Elevation Gain: 709 ft
Avg Temperature: 44.6 °F, Sunny
60 Riders All Categories

Training Peaks Data

I was on duty the day before at the firehouse and hoping for a good night sleep.  I got a good solid 7 hour block and felt good for the event.  I was about 90% better from being sick to start the year off.  It was really cold and windy at the start line where I warmed up.  This was a rolling clock wise course with a nice tailwind going out on Santa Teresa but coming back there was a head wind.  My goals were to PR the course.  Last time I had done this course was Nov 2012 with a time of 00:44:34

I was second to start and we were spaced out 30 seconds apart.  I ate a Hammer Gel Peanut Butter right before the start.  Started off feeling great, and able to take advantage a strong tailwind initially.  No elevation for the first few miles.  All the elevation on this course are short power climbs.  I PR'ed and that felt awesome!

I have been riding the TT bike at least once a week since I got my Specialized Transition TT bike last spring.  I am still learning on positioning.  I feel like I want to get lower.  Its a work in progress.  I have added some TT races to my race calendar for this year.  I am looking to overall improve on my flat power.  TT's will help that in road races.

For my TT's I am wearing a speed suit from Voler.  There are no pockets in this kit.  This is wear the Hammer gel packs play a crucial role!  I am addicted to Peanut Butter Hammer gel.  I can tuck one of these inside the bottom of my kit.  It fits comfortably.  I usually get to the line 10-15 minutes prior to the start so I have it available for right as I start or I can keep it for any energy needs during the TT.

Pre-Race night I will take a scoop of Hammer Whey Chocolate in water 30 minutes before bedtime, and I always take Hammer Recoverite Chocolate right after the ITT.

Referral for Hammer Nutrition

Thanks for reading!

Next Race is Snelling RR February 22, 2014