Friday, March 6, 2015

Chico Stage Race #3 TT

Zachary Hilton
Chico Stage Race #3 TT 35+ 3/4's
Chico, CA 
Place: 26  (GC Placing 24)
Field: 34
Teammates: None
Weather:  62 cold, crosswind, headwind, and crosswind, sunny
Start Time:  8:35 am
Total Time: 00:27:40
Power: No Power on TT
Average Speed: 22.45 MPH, Top Speed 27.60 MPH
Average HR: 163 Max HR: 174
Elevation Ascent: 79 ft


I'm riding my new 2013 Specialized Transition TT with SRAM Force group set.  I ride a 53/39 11/25 for TT's.   We stayed in our same parking spot near the crit and I warmed up on the trainer for the TT.   I carried no bottles for this TT.  It's going to be windy and it's just 10 miles.  The start is about 1 miles down the street from where I am at.  I stuck a Hammer Gel under the leg of my Voler speed suit.  I warmed up on the trainer for 20 minutes in the sun, drank though a bottle of Hammer Heed and headed to the start.  The intel that I've gotten on the course is that you hit crosswinds on the first section, then a right turn into a headwind, and then final right turn into some crosswinds.  I don't have a power meter on my TT bike so pacing is difficult.  I have to base of heart rate.

The TT starts and we are given the option to be held while clipped in.  I take off and get into the aero position on the bars.  The trouble with pacing off heart rate on the TT at a stage race is that fatigue is starting to set in also.  So even though I might be pushing threshold my heart rate might not be able to get high anymore.  I tried to go out easy and consistent.  There were some strong crosswinds blowing me around.  I have an aerodisk cover on my back wheel and a 54mm carbon wheel on the front.  We are all separated by 30 seconds.  I stayed in my drops the entire time.  The right turns aren't sharp ones.  While in the headwind I tried to not push to hard to fight the wind.  My heart rate was staying the same and when it increased I just backed off a bit.  During the final stretch the the finish I was able to increase my effort and heart rate.  Especially the last mile.  I really need a power meter in the future to be more competitive in the TT.

Well that's the completion of the second stage race.  The last one was Cascade Classic in Bend, OR.  That was 2 years ago.  My next event is SJBC Team Training Camp in Paso Robles, CA.  It's more like a three day stage race.  It's a mixed group, and I plan to get a great workout from it.  I'm sticking with those that are stronger than me :)


Thanks for reading!
Thanks to Race Rim Wheels!
Thanks to Hammer Nutrition!
Thanks to Voler!
Thanks to Vittoria Tires!
Thanks to SJBC Race Team!


Post Race Meal In-N-Out for the ride home!