Monday, March 20, 2017

Snelling RR

Zachary Hilton
Snelling RR
Snelling, CA 
Category 35+ 4
Place: 19
Field: 25
Teammates: None
Weather:  62 Sunny, the wind just stayed away, but the bees were still there
Start Time: 12:40:00 am 
Total Time: 02:27:00
Power: 221 W avg, 1475 W max,  217 W NP  
Average Speed: 20.8 MPH, Top Speed 35.7 MPH
Average HR: 163 Max HR: 186
Elevation Ascent: 1,421


I'm riding a 2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac with Ultegra 6800 53/39 11 speed group set with an 11/28 for this race.  I have a pair for Race Rim carbon tubular 46's with 25mm tires for this race.   I am carrying 2 bottles of Hammer Heed with me to the start and 5 Hammer Gels to refuel every 30 minutes.  I've got a S-Works Evade helmet.

My goals for this race are to stay with the front group for as long as possible.  This race is about positioning.  There are some major potholes, and also some 90 degree turns.  I always think its best to be at the front for each these sections.  Nothing really new about the course is noted that I haven't talked about in the past on this blog.  You can look up Snelling form previous years for that info.

We start right near registration and then ride neutral until we reach the course.  We only only had 25 racers to start and  I could have lined up in the back, but I like setting the pace during this part. It's a closed course and you follow the moto.  In past races I've seen racers crash during this part because they are not paying attention and yes sometimes even the neutral ride goes fast and then brakes!  I was up front with two other solo racers as well.   Team Clean Power had the most riders.  Pen Velo, Revs Road, and Pen Velo each had several riders as well.  All those teams are doing well in the standings and I figured they would be controlling the pace.  The first lap was tame.  We all stayed in a group for the majority of it.  Team Clean Power would send a guy sprinting off the front every so often for maybe 10 seconds and then he would stop.  We all got used to this, but still several in the front would chase it down and I would grab a wheel and follow for a free ride.  Lap two was fast and lot's of attacks again my Pen Velo and Team Clean Power.  No one would ever get a way.  Although I think that they were underestimating the coordination of everyone.  I thinking that if one of those strong guys just took off and burned their matches they could actually hurt some of the competition and reduce the group.  However we all stayed together.  I was up front and and leading into most of the turns.  It's just what I like to do in this race.  Some corners you can cut into them and we are going single file, it creates a separation and anxiety with racers in the back, and those that haven't raced this course.  During lap 3 I decided to drop in the back and check out what others were doing. Lap 3 was extremely tame.  We also got neutralized just like last year, but this time there was no break formed.  I was ready for one, but Team Clean Power still wasn't making anything happen.  Lap 3 was a nice break in the back literally!  I continued to focus on my nutrition.  I thought for sure last 4 would have some fire in it early.  While there were several more 10-15 second attacks by Pen Velo and Team Clean, one of them would do anything.  We all were together as we made the left turn to the final stretch before 1K to go.  Now we were all fighting for position to get up front for the final right turn.  I moved up to maybe 10th place as we came around the turn hot!  I followed a wheel in front of me and right around 200 meters to go it was a swarm of riders that took off and came around me too!

What I learned from this race is that positioning is key of course and this race is always a mind game of focus for me.  You constantly need to ay attention to your position and wheel in from of you.  If you hesitate to not constantly move up you could get dropped and it's hard to catch back on.  I've always tried to fit group rides into my training, but timing often doesn't allow it.  I need to make an effort to start doing more closer to home though.

Time to recover with Hammer Nutrition's Recoverite and get a good night sleep.  Don't forget to recover during your sleep and take some Hammer Whey to boost that HGH.  I've also added Hammer Nutrition's Chromate, and Super Antioxidant to the recovery mix.  Both have great recovery ingredients!  




Next race will be Ward's Ferry RR on March 18!

Thanks for reading!
Thanks to Hammer Nutrition!
Thanks to Nature's Bakery!
Thanks to RaceRim!
Thanks to iRC Tire USA!
Thanks to SJBC Race Team!