Tuesday, December 11, 2012

San Bruno Hill Climb 2012 Race Report

We are 3 weeks away from the 2013 cycling race season!  Mt San Bruno Hill Climb is the 1st event.  Here's my race report from last year. I rode with Taleo Racing in 2011 and 2012.  In 2013 I will be racing with San Jose Bike Club SJBC.  www.teamsanjose.org

Mt San Bruno HC (35+Cat 5 Group Mixed with 4's)
Field Size: 25
Placing: 21
Start Time: 10:00 am
Total Time: 22:11 PR of 2:34!!!!
2 Teammate Scott Bromstead, Chris Coble
Average Speed: 10 MPH, Top Speed 25.3 MPH
Average HR: 183 Max HR: 194 (My Max Threshold)
Elevation Ascent: 1171 ft

First race of the year. It was a sunny and warm morning in San Bruno. My goals for the race were to improve my time of 24:45 last year. Carpooled with Hanns D, got a good warm-up in, then met Scott and Chris at the front of the line. My plan was to hold on with the group until I couldn't anymore, then pretty much settle in and ride hard. Since I raced this course the previous year I felt a lot more comfortable on the road. My energy levels were low since I had been up all night at the firehouse on New Year's Eve. Normally I race my Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX but this course beat them up last year. I left the Rubino Pro's on. As always I fueled up with some Pomegrante Berry Cytomax!

Watching Scott B. ride 3rd wheel up the first climb was an awesome sight! I dropped off the back before the first level part of the race, and found 2 wheels to draft off of. My HR was maxed at this point, and just settled in. My plan was to mark someone near the end of the course and have my own little race to the finish with them. I know from previous years that it's easy to think the end is "right around the corner". The course isn't marked at all. I was maybe 500 meters from the finish when someone came by me pretty fast. I stayed seated and was about 20 ft behind him when his acceleration stopped. At the 200 meters mark I buried myself and blew past him!

Overall I was super stoked because I got a personal record of 2:34!!! I love climbing and I am improving. I would like to get under 20 min next year. My next race is the Early Bird RR on Jan 21.

Thanks to Taleo Racing
Thanks to my Teammates!
Thanks to my coach Jonny Moskowitz!
Thanks to Cytomax!
Thanks to Vittoria Tires!
Thanks to Oakley!
Thanks to KMC!
Thanks for reading!