Thursday, June 27, 2013

Mt Diablo Hill Climb Time Trial Race Report 2013

Mt Diablo HC TT Walnut Creek, CA (35+Cat 4/5)
Field Size: 27
Placing: 10th Overall (8th in Cat 4)
Teammates: Alexander Komlik, Andy Crews
Average Speed: 11.9 MPH, Top Speed  31.0 MPH
Average HR:  182 Max HR: 188
Elevation Ascent:   1,699 Ft.
Weather:  89.7 degrees avg.  Sunny and hot!


                This is my 2nd time racing Mt Diablo Hill Climb TT.  It’s a great way to check your mid season fitness on a hill climb.  My goal was to get a sub 30.  34:42 was my best time so far.  That is a big chunk of time to take off but that time was from 2011 when I got a 1:06 time at Mt Diablo Challenge.  In 2012 I did the Mt Diablo Challenge in 57:17.  I stripped everything I could off the bike including water bottles and cages.  I raced my Zipp 404 tubulars, and a skin suit.  I packed a few Clif Shot Chews under my right leg of the skin suit if I needed anything.  Stuck with my whole grain oats breakfast 3 hours before the race, a bagel 2 hours before, and a performance power bar during my warm up.  This combo seems to be working well for me.

             I started off warming up on the trainer for about 45 minutes in the shade.  Felt great on the trainer.  I had gotten off duty that morning from work, and headed straight to the race.  I knew it was going to be warm because it was already 75 degrees while warming up.  In 2011 that was the race temp, but this year the race temp would be 90 degrees.  There is no shade on the mountain either!  I started about mid way down the start times for our group.  It’s a little over a mile to ride from the registration to start line.  They have a ramp for us to clip in and start the race, and there is a 30 second gap between each rider.  Started off fast and feeling good.  The first couple rollers you can build some good momentum for the climb.  It’s a 6.2 mile climb so you can really push yourself the entire way.  There is no reason to slow down for recovery time.  You can recover after.  I caught my 30 second guy about 3 miles in.  I got passed up by 2 riders, and caught another 2 on the way up.  Not much to report until I got to the 1K.  Two years ago I wasn’t paying attention to the mileage and they only had the 200 meter sign out.  I wanted to try and ramp up my effort from the 1K mark.  It’s a lot harder to actually do that because that last 1K is tough and not flat!  I managed to shave off about 30 seconds.  That’s a good improvement for this course.  2013 vs 2011 Garmin Data  Finished the ride to the junction so that I could get some water. 

               
                Overall I am pleased with my finishing time of 31:31, and a 10th place finish overall in the combined group.  I scored some team points for SJBC also.  8th place for the Cat 4’s.  That’s a PR of 3:11. I bet if the temperature was a little lower I could have shaved some more time off. 
             
My next race is Cascade Classic Stage Race Bend, OR.  July 19-21!

Thanks to SJBC!
Thanks to my Teammates!

Thanks for reading!