Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Beat The Clock TT Canada Rd

Zachary Hilton
Placing: 10
Woodside, CA 
Teammates:  Alexander Komlik
Weather:  49 degrees avg. Raining
Start Time:  7:34am
Total Time: 00:27:10
Power: No Power Data on TT
Average Speed: 22.13 MPH, Top Speed 36.76 MPH
Average HR: 166 Max HR: 174
Elevation Ascent: 469 ft

Training Peaks Data  

I have not taken a day off since training camp, but still wanted to get out and do the time trial.  It's been on my bucket list for a while.  My goals were to get a good warm-up, and put in a good time on the course.  I can always come back here later in the year and improve the time.  The course is a 5 mile out and 5 mile back.  For some reason my Garmin didn't record the rollers and my elevation gain was way off.  I included the link above to the Strava segment so that you can see the rollers.  I rode my Specialized Transition TT bike.  Zipp 404's and an aero disk cover on the back wheel.  I was planning on riding these first and then coming back to change out the front wheel for a 1080.  I wanted to see if I could gain anymore time advantage when I was fatigued, by using this deeper rim. 

I woke up not feeling 100%.  That was fine with me.  This has been a huge training block, and a great way to finish it off.  The rain that was coming down was not encouraging, but this course was just fine to ride in the rain.  Smooth pavement and no big turns besides the turnaround at 5 miles out.  I got a little lost trying to find this course so I only got a 20 minute warm-up.  I needed at least 45 minutes to post a good time.  I was also worried because during the warm up I couldn't get my HR up to threshold.  A sign of fatigue :(  The volunteers were super nice and pinned on my number for me.  It's impossible to do it yourself when your wearing a speed suit. 

Started off feeling great.  Got in the drops right away and tried to get the HR elevated.  It's an initial flat course then descent.  This would also be my first time riding this course.  There were no sharp turns, so it was a little easier being able to see what was coming ahead.  About 3 miles into it it began to rain.  My position felt great, but couldn't get my HR up to threshold.  There were 2 short rollers that I was able to stay in the big ring for.  As I reached the turnaround I needed to slow way down for the U-turn.  Lot's a course marshals there to warn you.  On the 5 miles stretch back it began to rain more, and was windy.  I was drenched!  Not fun for a TT but I was determined to still put in a good effort.  There is one roller to go over, and then the last 3 miles is a series of rollers that keep the elevation climbing until to reach the finish line.  My position still felt great.  I had made some changes to the TT bike last month and lowered my profile just a bit.  I felt more comfortable and arms didn't feel fatigued. 

Overall I was glad I showed up!  I opted not to try my experiment with the 1080 today.  I was soaked, tired, and not mentally motivated.  When I get in that zone....I am just done!  I was already in a hole from training camp, and didn't want to go any deeper. :)

Thanks for reading, and I suggest anyone that enjoys TT's to get out to this course and race it.  May 24th and June 14th are the next ones.  Beat The Clock and help beat cancer.  Great organization that gives back to cancer research and awareness.

My next race is Sea Otter road race and circuit race April 11-12.

Thanks to Hammer Nutrition
Thanks to SJBC Racing
Thanks to Voler for the awesome aero speed suit!