Saturday, August 2, 2014

California Firefighter Olympics Stage 2 Time Trial

Zachary Hilton
Nicasio, CA 
Placed:  4th overall GC and Tied for 3rd Bronze Medal in Age Group
Weather:  61 degrees avg. Foggy and wet roads at start, rain back half of course
Start Time:  9:08 am
Total Time: 00:34:12 
Power: No Power on TT Bike
Average Speed: 24.59 MPH, Top Speed 34.09 MPH 
Average HR: 174 Max HR: 184
Elevation Ascent: 174 ft (Too Flat!!!!)

Training Peaks Data

Stage 2 of the CA/FF Olympics is the TT.  I have been riding the TT bike for 1 year now and love it.  It's a totally different discipline, and the advantages of training on a TT bike pay off in road racing.  You are lower, more aero, and use different muscle groups.  I recovered well from yesterday's HC and was feeling good.  I got in an hour warm up on the trainer and included a 7 mile ride to the start line.

We were separated by 1 minute intervals.  I started 3rd.  I settled in to a good position and had to take the first few miles a little slower because we were on unknown roads, and they were wet.  I figured everyone else was probably going to do the same anyways.  I was able to get my HR up to threshold with no problem and keep it there.  I carried one bottle of Hammer Heed.  I caught my 1 minute guy and never got passed up by anyone.  That was an awesome feeling.  I knew there were a few guys that were a threat behind me.  The one thing I love about the TT is its all about milliseconds.  For instance getting out of the aero position to manage a sharp turn, or drinking some fluid.  These all add up during the race and can separate you from winning by only seconds.  I ended up in a tie for 3rd place with Rob Martone, and Dave Stepp beat us by 1 second!!!  If we had better timing there wouldn't have been a tie but hey its all in good fun for this stage race.

I drank some Recoverite when I got back to the truck.  Were all hung out, and had a quick medal ceremony.  I walked away with another Bronze in my age category, and I am sitting 4th overall GC. Time to recover!  

My next race is Stage 3 CA/FF Road Race.

Thanks for reading!
Thanks to Hammer Nutrition!
Thanks to Voler!