Saturday, August 2, 2014

California Firefighters Stage 3 Road Race

Zachary Hilton
San Geronimo, CA 
Placed:  4th overall GC and 2nd Silver Medal in Age Group
Weather:  74 degrees avg. sunny and getting warmer
Start Time:  9:00 am
Total Time: 02:24:00 
Power: 146 W avg, 857 W max, 197 W NP  (Spent 30% of time with 0 W)
Average Speed: 20.27 MPH, Top Speed 43.74 MPH 
Average HR: 154 Max HR: 192
Elevation Ascent: 2,930 ft


The California Firefighter Olympics are held annually.  It's either up north or down south.  San Francisco Fire hosted this year.  The cycling portion would be a 3 Day Stage Race.  Hill Climb, Time Trial, and Road Race.  I'm riding my 2009 Specialized Tarmac with the new Ultegra 6800 11 speed group set.  I ride a 53/39 11/28 for most races.  I am also racing with my Race Rim 46 Carbon Tubulars.

I began my warm up on the trainer.  We all decided on a neutral roll out for the first 15 miles of the race because HWY 1 had a spot where it was one lane and a traffic light was there.  Getting about 20 minutes on the trainer first was ideal.  I felt recovered but I knew my legs needed a steady warm up.  After 2 hard days of racing I wanted to maintain my position in the GC and possibly get the gold in my age category.  I needed to find a way to beat Dave Stepp.  My only chance would be on the Marshall Grade climb, and then hope I can stay away with a better group than he would be in.  This was the biggest group of riders so far.  Around 24 racers, and all are different racing categories.  There were 4 in my age category.  David Stepp, John Galvin, and unknown rider who just showed up for today.  I made sure to stay in the front of the group during the neutral start and made sure to not put out any efforts.  I needed to stay ready for the Marshall Grade climb.  That is where we would all be separated and attacks will occur.  My plan worked well.  I saw the sign for Marshall Grade and had no idea how it was going turn....it ended up being a soft right and the first part of the climb was upon us.  I accelerated around the left side and was sitting top 10 now.  Several guys were off the front.  I noticed a teammate to my right and got a draft off of him.  Dave Stepp was on my right and another guy in our age category was right behind me.  I stayed on my teammates wheel and pretended to be tired for 20 seconds and then attacked around him trying to drop Dave and the other.  Dave and I dropped him and the others.  Now left up the road was Hanns D, Rob H, and Ken R.  We still had 2 miles of climbing left.  I dug so deep to stay with Dave but he dropped me and crested the top of the climb 45 seconds before me.  I caught Ken R as we descended.  That was one of the fastest descents I have raced.  You could see the entire descent in front of you and it was relatively straight.  Hanns and Dave were gone and Robb H was about 45 seconds in front of Ken and I.  We decided to stay together and work with each other to catch Robb.  I was hoping Robb would not see Dave and come back to help us.  With three of us we probably could catch him and then have a 4 way sprint to the finish for 2nd overall.  Hanns was out of sight.  The next 27 miles was Ken and myself trying to stay away from the chasing groups and after we turned onto Nicasio Rd we realized we weren't going to catch anyone.  Dave and Robb were now together.  We ended up only 4 minutes off the winner and 2 minutes off 2nd and 3rd.  Ken and I sprinted for the line and I took 4th overall.  I would also get a silver medal for the finish in my age category.  I was stoked with my results!  Looking at the results I actually spent 30% of the time with 0 W.  That's a boat load of saved energy on descents, drafting, and the awesome rolling resistance of racing on my Race Rim Tubulars!

My next race is Patterson Pass RR August 3rd in Tracy, CA.



Thanks for reading!
Thanks to Race Rim Wheels!
Thanks to Hammer Nutrition!
Thanks to Voler!
Thanks to SJBC Race Team!





Avery and I both have medals!

Some well deserved ice cream!

Gilroy Garlic Festival with Kate!