Monday, February 2, 2015

SJBC Winter Series ITT #2

Zachary Hilton
San Jose, CA 
Place: 33
Field: 52
Weather:  46 degrees avg. sunny, cold and 
Start Time:  09:07 am
Total Time: 00:42:00
Power: No Power for my TT bike
Average Speed: 21.7 MPH, Top Speed 38.0 MPH
Average HR: 168 Max HR: 182
Elevation Ascent: 656 ft


SJBC Winter Series!

I'm riding my 2013 Specialized Transition TT bike with SRAM Force group set.  I ride a 53/39 11/28 for most races TT courses.  I am also racing my Zipp 404's with a rear Aero Disk Cover, and Vittoria Corsa EVO CX Tubulars.  My goals were to get a time of 40 minutes, and some good racing on the TT bike.  I'm racing the Chico Stage Race at the end of February.  I am able to ride to this course from my house.  That allows for a good 55 minute warm up.   I carried one bottle of Hammer Nutrition with me.

Everything I need for the race is in my backpack.  I arrived just as registration was closing up!  I put on my TT helmet and lined up at the start.  We are 30 seconds apart.  I stayed tucked all the way until the first right turn.  Lots of debris on the ground there.  The next section is a winding road and then a small climb.  The 11/28 allows me to stay in the tucked position on these power climbs.  I was 10 seconds off the guy in front of me as I reached the top of the climb.  The next section is a technical descent that I was finally able to stay tucked.  In the past this section was uncomfortable to stay in the drops.  The next right turn at the dam is a flat section and the wind wasn't a factor today.  There is another power climb approaching with a fast and straight descent.  A great place to pick up time when its not windy.  The final right turn brings you to a steep descent and then a really fast and flat finish.

I was able to get a PR of 42 seconds!  I'm riding the TT bike once a week now.  I've got several time trial races this season, and it also helps my build power on the flats.

My first race will be Knights Ferry Road Race on February 7th.   You can see all of my NCNCA racing district's races here.

Thanks for reading!
Thanks to Hammer Nutrition!
Thanks to Voler!
Thanks to Vittoria Tires!
Thanks to SJBC Race Team!