Monday, February 2, 2015

SJBC Winter Series RR #3

Zachary Hilton
Morgan Hill, CA 
Place: 17 (Mentoring the Cat 4's)
Field: 52
Weather:  52 degrees avg. sunny and getting warmer
Start Time:  09:00 am
Total Time: 02:25:00
Power: 188 W avg, 791 W max, 178 W NP  
Average Speed: 19.7 MPH, Top Speed 34.1 MPH
Average HR: 155 Max HR: 184
Elevation Ascent: 2,270 ft


SJBC Winter Series!

I'm riding my new 2015 Specialized Tarmac with Ultegra 6800 11 speed group set.  I ride a 53/39 11/28 for most races.  I am also racing with my Race Rim 46's Carbon Tubulars, and Vittoria Corsa EVO CX Tubulars.  My goals were to mentor the Cat 4's while getting in some good racing for the legs.  I always enjoy giving back to the SJBC club!   I arrived early and warmed up on the trainer for around 25 minutes.  I carried two bottles of Hammer Nutrition with me.

The Cat 4/5's were all racing together.  We had 13 in the group.  The first lap we all stayed together and worked on pace lines.  On lap number two a few up front as they came through looked like they wanted to start a breakaway.  This is a perfect opportunity as we were coming up to the rollers of the course.  I took my turn on the front and pulled the group for about 1 minute.  I turned around and we had 4 in a group right behind me.  The peloton was 15 seconds behind.  I pulled off and told the four they needed to now work together to stay away.  They each took shorter pulls and are now 30 seconds ahead.  One rider bridged up from the group.  Nice!  This breakaway was sticking together and working great.  They realized that they all had different strengths but needed each other to stay away.  We stayed away until the end of the race.

My off-season consisted of strength training and running while competing in San Jose Bike Club's Winter Series and the Low Key Hill Climbs.  This off-season was built around coming in stronger at the beginning of 2015.  I ended up missing the San Bruno Hill Climb on New Year's day.  I woke up with a fever and chills overnight.  I rode the previous morning in the freezing weather to top off the 2014 year with 600,000 ft of climbing in 400 rides.  I'm sure that cold morning ride threw me over the edge.  I thought I would be able to recover in time, but everyone in my family was already getting sick.  Overall I am feeling stronger as a result of the off-season training, and I unknowingly set a new FTP high in November at the Mt Hamilton Hill Climb.  I also PR'ed the course!  I'm looking forward to the 2015 season.

My first race will be Knights Ferry Road Race on February 7th.   You can see all of my NCNCA racing district's races here.

Thanks for reading!
Thanks to Race Rim Wheels!
Thanks to Hammer Nutrition!
Thanks to Voler!
Thanks to Vittoria Tires!
Thanks to SJBC Race Team!